Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Boxes

When I was a child I knew no bounds
There were no limits to where I could fly
The sky was full of dreams to be lived
And lessons to be learned.

When I was a child
I wanted to be an artist, a rock star, a violinist, and an astronaut.
When I was a child
I thought I could be anything.


 Through the struggles of growing up
Lack of structure
Lack of molding,
My childhood dreams kept me     
                                                        afloat.

 I miss seeing the world as I did as a child.
Where challenges were hurdles, instead of brick walls.
And fears were meant to be overcome,
Not something that boxes you in.


     My happiest memories were when I attended a small charter school. Everyone was the same kind of ‘different’ so no one was singled out. All the bullying and family struggles stayed outside those walls. Friendships were built, trust was made, secrets told. I never wanted to go home but this was the first time that I actually wanted to stay at school. I didn’t call out sick; I would try and hide being sick if I were at school already.

     In the 8th grade the 7th/8th grade class went on a weeklong trip to San Diego, CA. It was a week away from my parents, spending the time with friends, being free. The trip was educational, for sure. The best part of it though was seeing a world bigger than my own. To put my feet in the ocean for the first time and really comprehend that I am not alone. There is so much life to be lived. 




No comments:

Post a Comment