Thursday, January 23, 2014

Traditions

My family doesn't have traditions…meaning that every attempt to make an activity/get-together/etc into something re-occurring never happened. 

So, I want to make my own traditions, for myself and my future family. Christmas isn't a holiday I celebrate but I will make it a habit to be with family (or the family I create) during this holiday because it is one they celebrate.

Dinner will be a family activity. Each individual will have their part in preparing the meal. As much as possible everyone will eat together. But, if someone is unable to make it to the dinner table, a plate will be made for them for when they make it home.

I want to spend a few minutes at the end of each day with my children. Listening to them talk about their day, the good parts, the bad parts, and everything in between. By starting this young the line of communication is open. By remaining open to what they say I convey that I won't judge them. Then, when they need it as an older teenager or adult, they know my ears are still open. I'm still there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment